Nel Aerts °1987 Antwerp, Belgium
Nel Aerts focuses on an intermedial versus a (semi-)iconic way of handling materials and media. Furthermore, she observes how the position of the artist is misrepresented by the world. In her drawings, paintings that look like woodcuts that have got out of hand, performative videos and sculptural installation she questions how various media, artistic calling and the world relate, using a mix of tragedy, poetry, fiction, humour and art historical references. Humour, loneliness, sadness, taboo, escapism, the journey, the boat trip, optimism, the mask/masquerade—all of these are elements that recur in her paintings, collages, sculptures and actions. At the same time her practice and work also bear witness to a stubborn faith in the creative, material and moving powers of contemporary art. (Sofie Van Loo)
Exhibitions w/ Nel Aerts
Fairs w/ Nel Aerts
Nel Aerts & Vaast Colson at BRASS
Nel Aerts Performance at M Leuven
Nel Aerts at Museum M
Nel Aerts dubble solo at Kunsthalle Lingen and Westfaelischer kunstverein
Affiniteiten#1 Nel Aerts >< Vaast Colson
Nel Aerts - Ontmaskerd Maske - Warande
- De Tijd, 'Dansen met de slangenbezweerder', Nel Aerts in Museum M Leuven
- De Standaard 'Nel Aerts maakt hoge verwachtingen waar in Turnhout'
- De Tijd, 'Sensueel of grappig kies maar'
- Gazet Van Antwerpen - 'Nel Aerts gaat Van Gogh achterna'
- Westfälischer Kunstverein: Nel Aerts
- Art Is Next - Nel Aerts: Haus der Wanderer
- Retrospektiven - NEL AERTS‚ HAUS DER WANDERER